Tips For A Healthier Mouth: Pt. 2Published 02/25/2013
Greetings and Happy Monday to all our fellow oral enthusiasts! Today we continue with a few more tips for maintaining a healthy smile.
If you missed the last blog you can catch the first 5 tips here!
More Tips for Maintaining a Healthy Smile
Drink Less Soda
The obvious reason behind this is because soda contains so much sugar that enough of it is truly counter-productive when it comes to fighting off oral germs; however, this isn’t the only reason soda is an enemy to your teeth!
Even diet sodas (yes the ones without sugar!) can be harmful to your teeth because soda (again – not just the non-diet ones) contains loads of acid that damages your tooth enamel over time.
Cutting back by just 1-2 sodas a day can gradually make all the difference in maintaining a healthy smile, so skip the pop and substitute it for something healthier in general – like juice!
Fluoride is a dental wonder and has been proven to help fight tooth decay and strengthen enamel, so why not take advantage?
Too much fluoride isn’t the best for you either, but investing in toothpaste and mouth rinse that includes fluoride is plenty to keep the right balance between too little and too much, so long as you aren’t doing regular fluoride rinses as well.
Use it in moderation, but definitely don’t overlook it!
A long time ago chewing gum was actually something you would want to avoid to keep your mouth at its healthiest, but with the advances of sugar-free gum its quickly become just the opposite.
Gum can help keep your teeth strong as well as help to dislodge any food particles that may be collecting icky bacteria in your mouth.
As an added bonus, gum helps to promote saliva production which is what naturally rinses your mouth out throughout the day.
Extra Tip: always keep your mouth moist! A dry mouth collects and harbors germs much easier than a moist one.
Brush Your Tongue
For some of us more than others bad breath can be a major problem sometimes. Did you know that your tongue (not just your teeth!) actually forms a layer of it’s own plaque and bacteria over time if not maintained properly?
Be sure to give the back of your tongue a scrub here and there as you finish brushing your teeth. It does a great deal in helping to reduce overall oral bacteria as well as combating halitosis.
Protect Your Smile – Literally!
This tip is more suited for children (but applies to adults as well of course), especially those who actively participate in sports: wear a mouth guard.
Injuries happen to all of us, and when we least expect it, so investing in a mouth guard for contact sports or recreational sports (skating, etc.) where one can fall down and/or potentially hit their mouth is the best safety precaution.
Mouth guards can also be useful in preventing enamel damage for those who grind their teeth while sleeping.
That’s all for today, but stay tuned for more tips in the future! Until then, keep these ideas in mind and always remember to brush daily!
- There are currently no posts made in 2017/2018, please check back later!
- Dec. 2014 - Maximize Your Dental Benefits Before December 31st!
- Nov. 2014 - Why You Should Never Delay Dental Treatment
- Oct. 2014 - Teeth-Friendly Halloween Ideas
- Sept. 2014 - Dental Sealants for Children's Teeth
- Aug. 2014 - Is Your Child Missing School Due To Dental Issues?
- July 2014 - When To Wean Kids From Pacificers, Sippy-Cups, Etc.
- June 2014 - Summertime Snacks That Brighten Your Smile
- May 2014 - Health Problems Tied To Gum Disease
- Apr. 2014 - Dental Sedation For Children
- Mar. 2014 - What Parents Should Know About Fluoride
- Feb. 2014 - Children's Dental Health Month
- Dec. 2013 - 7 New Year’s Resolutions For A Healthier Smile
- Nov. 2013 - Use Your Dental Insurance Before The New Year
- Oct. 2013 - Halloween Tips For Treats
- Oct. 2013 - Honored To Serve Our Military
- Sept. 2013 - Baby Tooth Decay: It's Possible & Preventable
- Aug. 2013 - Help Your Child Overcome Fear Of Dentists
- July 2013 - Cosmetic Dentistry For Children, or Not?
- July 2013 - Bad Teeth, Just After Two Weeks!
- June 2013 - Trouble With Fruity Drinks, Treats & Soda
- May 2013 - Children's Dental Care: True or False
- May 2013 - Children's Oral Care Problems
- Apr. 2013 - Breakfast Cereal & Children's Dental Care
- Mar. 2013 - Mouthwashing, Flossing and Kids
- Mar. 2013 - Keeping Your Child's Teeth Healthy
- Feb. 2013 - Tips For A Healthier Mouth (Pt. 2)
- Feb. 2013 - Tips For A Healthier Mouth (Pt. 1)